Apr 13, 2010

Is it okay to dream of becoming an amateur writer?

Many people write for fun only and are content to be called amateurs. Even amateurs should aspire to write the right way, and that is where I stand at this moment.

Today’s internet opens the doors to e-magazines, blogs, and web sites to help writers get started. Online writing groups allow you to post your writing and receive feedback on it. Honest feedback will help you learn what you don’t know, so be sure the group is made up of writers of different skill levels. In other words, at least a few should have more skill than you have.

Do you dream of becoming a published author?

Do you want it more than anything and willing to set aside your ego and work for success? That’s the huge first step that I’m still wrestling with.

The next step is finding out what you don’t know, and practicing with all your heart to learn the craft of writing. There are rules that can be broken only after you learn to use them correctly; there are rules that can never be broken, and they are important. I’m finding out those things I don’t know, but it’s a slow go.   One of those things is finding that my biggest fear in writing is posting my work publicly.

It’s the rockiest path I’ve ever tried to walk.





Powered by ScribeFire.

No comments:

Post a Comment